Skip to main content

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

See other formats


PARGANA CHHA'TX.                                           377
population of the pargana, where they once owned and where they still Inhabit as
many as 24 villages, viz., Sehi, Chaumuha, Sihana, Akbarpnr, Jaitpur, Bhau-
ganw, Mai, Basi Buzurg,  Gangroli, Javali, Dalota,  Siyara^ Bahta, Kajlroth,
Agaryala, Taroli, Parsoli, Mangroli, Naugama, Undi, Gora, Banera, Bharanli
and Baroli.    The Bachh-ban is now a ' grove * only in name, and is accounted
one of the hamlets of the town.    In it is the temple of Bihari Ji, to -which the
Bachhals resort; the Gosains, who serve it, being accounted the Gurus of the
whole community.    The name Sehi is probably derived from Sendhna, c to exca-
vate,' as a great part of the village area (1,442 bighas) consists of broken ground
and ra   aes (Mar and lehar).    Other 106 bighas are occupied by tanks and ponds,
one of which is called Ritharo, another Bhabhardi, after the name of the Bach-
hal, who dug it in the famine of 1837.    In 1842 the village was put up to
auction for arrears and bought in by Government    After being farmed for
some years by Kunvar  Faiz All Khan, it was sold in 1862 for Es. 4,300 to
Setli Gobind Das, who, in  the following year,  sold it to Swami Rangacharya,
the head of his temple at Brinda-ban, for Rs  10,000.    The annual Government
demand is Rs. 6,100.   There are four other hamlets in addition to the Bachh-ban?
called respectively Qdhuta, Garh, Devipura (in the kkddar) and Little Hazara.
The old khera bears the name of Indrauli, and is said to have been at one time
the site of a large and populous town.    It was certainly once of much greater
extent than now, as is attested by the quantity of broken bricks that strew the
adjoining fields; but there are no ancient remains nor traces of any large build-
ing.    It is still, however, a fairly well-to-do place^ most of the houses in the
bazar being of masonry construction, and a few of them partly faced with carved
stone.    The school has an attendance of about 40 boys ; the population being
2,211.    In the courtyard of the temple of Bihari Jiis a square ehhattri of red
sand-stone with brackets carved in the same style as some in the Brinda-ban
temple of Gobind Deva; and of those'thafc support the eaves of the temple itself
six are of the same pattern,    The shrine has evidently been rebuilt at a much
later period; and on one of the pillars is cut a rough scrawl with the date Bambai
1805, which is no doubt the year of its restoration.    In the village is a small
temple of Hanuman, recently rebuilt; and outside, a senn-Muhammadan shrine?
erected by a chamar,  Khumani, about the year 1860.   There are two annual
melas held at it, in Baisakh and Kartik, on the day of the fall moon.    They are
attended equally by Hindus and Muhammadans (as is the case with the shrine
of the Bare Miyan at Jalesar) and of the two ministers one is a Brahman, the
other a Musalman Fakir.   A mosque which, seen from a little distance3 looks
rather an imposing structure} was built by two Pathans, Easim Elh&E and Alain
95